Thursday, January 2, 2014

Your Daily Dish to a Fit & Fabulous…. Day 3 / Part 3

To view rules 6-10 click here:

http://wwwdjdad89.blogspot.com/2014/01/your-daily-dish-to-fit-fabulous-day-2.html


11.     Injuries – Unfortunately, injuries are a part of any workout program. I’m not talking about tearing ligaments or serious sprains, I’m talking about the little, annoying injuries that sprout up during your routine.  You know the ones that could derail all of your progress in one full swoop.  I remember pulling a calf muscle on a treadmill about 4 weeks into my C25K training. I was doing so well, and this one day I just strode the wrong way, and it pulled. It was painful, and worst of all, it was the perfect excuse to quit. I was doing so well, I just couldn't see stopping, so I pushed through and went to see my doctor. He instructed me to stay off it for a few weeks—no running!  Oh no!  All my hard work down the drain!  Well, not really, I heeded the Doctors advice; I did not quit, just changed up my work outs during my time on the DL.  Instead of running 5 miles on the treadmill, I walked 10 miles! I also rediscovered weight training which like many other guys, I hadn't done since high school. Now, I didn't start with benching 250 pounds! I started with a light program figuring the weight wasn't important the form and the toning would be key to my success. I followed this program for 2 weeks then went back to running. By the time, I was ready to run again, the weather was changing so I took my program outdoors to a local park. The calf was better and my weight training had, dare I say, increased my running stamina! So injuries are going to happen, but other than a major injury, they are just minor hiccups to your road to success. Stay the course—you can do this!
 
12.     Plateaus - I love that word because knowing what I know now, it makes me laugh. Plateau is a word I hear when someone is at a standstill in their weight loss goals. I laugh at the word because I always used it as an excuse for giving up! "I've lost 15 pounds, but I still can’t hit 20 pounds, I’ve hit my plateau!" You can't even say the word without whining when you say it. A plateau is just another type of hiccup during your training. It is a real thing and can be a difficult to get past it but, it isn't impossible…here’s something to help you get over the hump…change things up. If you're running 5 miles on the treadmill, 3 days a week, take it outside once or twice a week. If you're running 3 days and lifting two days, switch it up; lift 3 days and run two! The reason you've hit a plateau is because you're body has grown stagnant, and your body has grown accustomed to what you are doing.  So, in order to move past the plateau, switch things up! You'll be glad you did.
 
13.     6 Months Later - By now you've achieved what many of your friends and family have called an obsession. The fact that you have changed your lifestyle is still a running joke to most of your loved ones. You may have even completed your first 5K and still it's, "oh look at you doing all this working out, who are you trying to impress?" It is amazing to me that I still get this or something to that effect, but it will happen no matter what you do or say. You're gains in health, muscle and stamina will always be a bone of contention for those of your loved ones whom have failed at their goals. Do not blame them or be angry with them, it is just a bit of frustration and jealousy.  Keep your focus on the positive benefits of your new lifestyle.  And hope that one day you’ll be assisting them on a new lifestyle change.
 
14.      Proof is in The Pudding - By now it has been a year long journey and if you've made it this far…give yourself a big high five because you are in the 6 % of the population!  You have achieved your goals and are now ready to set new goals for a coming new year.  You have done what only 6% of the population will ever do—set and keep a resolution.  Congratulations.  And by the way, YOU look GREAT! 

     15. My way or the Highway - The preceding 14 tips are just a guide for you to                  follow to the best of your abilities. These are things that I've learned over the past 2 and half years on this journey. They are the way they worked for me you may have to adjust things to fit your lifestyle but, as long as you keep up the good work and keep going!
 
 
Some points for you to chew on…

1) In my first year, I ran in three 5K races and one half marathon.
2) My second year I did three more 5K's and two Tough Mudders runs.
3) I also started a Crossfit program.
4I leave you with a quote that resonates with me…  
“Screw it, Let’s do it!” 
    --Richard Branson


No comments:

Post a Comment